Dear, Mister Darcy

Our beloved Mister Darcy has reached a respectable age of 200 years since 1913, when Jane Austen published "Pride and Prejudice' on the 28th of January. She sold the copyrights for the book to Thomas Egerton of Whitehall for the sum of 110 pounds. The anti-social Mr. Darcy has become during these 200 years much more than a legendary character in a great novel, he is, for a significant part of his female audience, the ultimate romantic hero.
Of course Mister Darcy needed to be tamed first, and Elizabeth Bennet made sure of that, on behalf of us all...Although I must admit that I do prefer a lot better the untamed version of Mister Darcy. Here are my favorite Mister Darcy retorts:
"My good opinion once lost, is lost forever", "I don't have the talent, which some posses, of recommending myself to strangers", "She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me, and I am in no humor at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men", "Yes, vanity is a weakness indeed. But pride-- where these is a real superiority of mind, pride will be always under good regulation".
..............................................................................................................................................................
In no connection with this subject I wish to say good-bye to my boyfriend's aunt, Viorica, who passed away last night. REST IN PEACE, AUNTIE!

17 comments:

Grace said...

My sympathies on the passing of Aunt. I hope it was peaceful. While I always liked Jane Austen I never became a crazy fan. "Lady Susan" will always be my favorite book of hers.

Launna said...

My sincerest sympathies on the loss of your Auntie... :(

I never read Jane Austen... I might have to give it a try:)

The Furries of Whisppy said...

I remember reading Pride and Prejudice when I was in school but I can't seem to remember any of it...

Sorry about your Auntie's passing. May she rest in peace.

Judith said...

I love Pride and Prejudice, and love Mr. Darcy--tamed or untamed. And the six-part miniseries you have pictures from is one of my favorite film versions of it.

Sympathies for your aunt. Goodbyes are always hard.

virginia robertson said...

I'm so so sorry for the loss of your Auntie! I just know that the loss of anyone so special in ones life is something that you just don't get over... I hope each and every day gets less painful! huggs... luv..xxx

Sissym said...

I do not know how many times I read the book and how many more times I watched the movie...

Surely, this is the book of Jane Austen that I'm more fascinated.
Mr Darcy was snobbish and critical, but at the same time lovely seductive.

p.s.: I'm sorry that the translation did not work well in that post when you visited, but if you want I can translate and send to your email.

kisses

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Petronela:
Colin Firth did make the most wonderful Mr Darcy we felt. A curious mix of the passionate, the vulnerable, the gauche and the intelligent. What woman could resist this heady cocktail?!!!

We are sorry to read of the death of your aunt. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Alida said...

My sympathies Petronela. When a relative dies it is like a part of you that goes too. All depend on the bond you had with the death relative.
I love Colin Firth, such a brilliant actor!

Annalisa Crawford said...

My sympathies are with you and your boyfriend.

Was it just me who read those quotes in Colin Firth's voice? Ah... :-)

Shaharoh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shaharoh said...

My condolences for your aunt:( I hope your family is healing.

Ah, Mr. Darcy. I haven't seen Colin Firth's portrayal but I did like the guy who played him in the most recent version with Keira Knightley. Of course, nothing compares to the book.

Perhaps, by taming him, Elizabeth taught him to have more humility and love. I think he taught her that all is not what it seems. Great post, beautiful xoxo!

Janet Gardner said...

So sorry to hear of your loss, May she rest in peace. I hope otherwise all is well with you. Sorry I have not been by for a while. I've just been busy working and all that other fun stuff!! I enjoyed your favorite quote, it is a great story, although I have never read it, I have heard much about it.
Big {{{Hugs}}}
Janet

Mynx said...

I am not sure why, but I dont think I have read any Jane Austen so I think I really should.
I may have seen a film though.

So sorry for the loss of your Aunt.
Sending hugs

Kelly said...

First, condolences for your boyfriend's aunt and the rest of the family. Losing a loved one can be harder than people know, at times. I wish the best for you in a difficult circumstance.

I've never read any of Jane Austen's books but this Darcy character has a real presence about him and his words of wisdom about 'superiority of the mind' and pride make sense.

Take care, Petronela

M Pax said...

My condolences to your friend.

I love Jane. I can't believe it was 200 years ago. I've been rereading S&S

Linda R said...

I regret so say I have never read any of Jane's work. I have Pride and Prejudice on my nook. I am determined to read it one day.

So sorry to hear of your loss...

Hugs~

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm sorry to hear about his aunt. My condolences for your family. :(

I haven't read Jane Austen yet, but I have one of her books just calling my name. The TBR pile is always growing, never shrinking.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...