- How did Canada get to conquer the heart of an European?
Initially for me, Canada meant harsh winters and a lot of French.Then I discovered Vancouver and all of a sudden everything changed totally....all I wanted to do was to come and live here, to "breath" Vancouver, to become a Vancouverite.
- What determined you to write this tourist book?
- Being passionate about the city, I have gathered lots of information and beautiful photos along the time, so probably in my head I always had an idea that I would be able to do something like that. The "aha" moment came in 2012 when my father sent me a book written by him, as a birthday gift. It was a book I knew nothing about and from that moment on, I loved the idea so much, I said to myself that I really have to go for my dream and say what I had to say, share my passion with the others, let others know how amazing this city is.....after all it's been named "the most livable city in the world" for a reason, right ? :)
- What is the most romantic place in Vancouver?
- Probably most people would say Stanley Park, the 400 hectare park located in the heart of the downtown Vancouver. It's really romantic, with lots of flowers and astonishing views everywhere you look around.
- What is YOUR most romantic place?
For me, as long as it has something to do with the ocean or a beautiful garden/park that would qualify as a "romantic place". But to name a few from the book: Queen Elizabeth Park, False Creek or Granville Island.
- How does your book help the occasional tourist get in touch with the real essence of the city?
- I didn't want to bother the reader with boring information and I pointed out only what I thought to be of real importance, not to mention I included a lot of "crucial" photos. For example many people come to visit Vancouver while on a cruise ship; they need to know ahead what could be more important for them to see in just a short stay.
On the other hand I find the book very useful even for people who are here to stay longer or even for those who immigrate to Vancouver. I'm proud to say that many of my Canadian friends told me I seemed to know much more about the city than they did. So you see, this is a book for anyone who'll ever set foot onto this part of Canada, be it a short stay or a lifetime :)
I need to let anyone know that the list of the "50 amazing attractions" is a collection of the most beautiful and interesting places and no one will be left behind, no matter if they come here only for the sports, the city's history, the beaches, the great parks or anything else.......all seasons, rain or shine, you'll all love the versatile Vancouver :)
Writting this book made me feel I'm giving something back because Vancouver brought so many great things to my life. In the end it's all about "what goes around comes around".
You can find Irina on her Facebook page.