A buck for a Romance


I must be honest and admit that I suffer for my books. If I were to look at the bright side, I could talk about the good reviews, for they outnumber the bad ones, but I won't. I'll talk about the kicks in the butt that an author must silently take, every now and then. In my case, most of them are about the length of my books. Yes, I love writing short fiction, so what can I do? I have brilliant authors that inspired and seduced me into trying this path, like Chekhov, Asimov, Poe, Twain, Ray Bradbury, Maupassant, hell even Breakfast at Tiffany's was a novella.
What I am trying to say is, you don't have to write three hundred pages to win a reader's heart. I don't know if I've managed to win a reader's heart so far, but I shall never stop trying. And to you lovely readers out there, don't rush in dismissing a book because of its length, because there is a great chance it could be The One :). Another sensitive subject is that about the price of a book. Now, I must confess I love a bargain, who doesn't? But considering the fact that, for every copy that Amazon sells with 0,99$, the author gets 0.17$, one must admit that a writer has but very little chance to make a living out of it. My point is, be kind to your favorite author, support his work with an honest review, share around a link here and there, and, if possible, don't kick his butt because he missed a coma :).
Well, because my Regency romance, A lot of pride and some prejudice, is 0.99$ again, I thought of gathering here, to your consideration, a few other titles, that might tempt you - all of them are short fiction at 0.99$. Just click them :).

6 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

I don't understand why people complain about the length - it's right there on the Amazon page!!

Polly Dot said...

Hello Petronela, Congratulations on yet another book finished. I must confess I always love your covers too. I know that you are in preference a book writer, so I hope that you will not be annoyed when I include the following link. This is a magazine that also sells booklets. I thought perhaps if you have some extra short stories that may be too short for your books they may well be suitable for this audience. Anyway, take a look and see what you think:
http://www.thepeoplesfriend.co.uk/Peoples-Friend-Submissions

This one however gives both the chance of regular stories as well as serials - not sure whether it will be of interest as they only accept printed transcripts but well (in for a penny in for a pound) they still are searching for small short stories of one submission too so just in case you may not of heard of it before - it may be of use:
http://www.womansweekly.co.uk/uncategorized/womans-weekly-fiction-submission-guidelines/

This also might be worth looking at when you have a little spare time - it is the writers bureau with lists and links about all types of writing etc ... I know that you are already a published author but all the same it may be worth bookmarking too:

http://www.jbwb.co.uk/markets.html

Once again, my friend, many congratulations with this your latest release. x

Elephant's Child said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
I am always awed by the authors I find here in the blogosphere and you are a hard-working joy. Thank you.

Sissym Mascarenhas said...



Dear,

I prefer to read short stories than looking at a book with thousands pages and feel lazy cos increasingly have less free time.

Kisses

Launna said...

Petronela... people can just be so mean... they are just jealous. Most likely they have a desire to write and they are not creative or dedicated... You have that ability to write and have it published... I am so proud of you for going after your dreams... don't ever stop :)

I haven't had a chance to read it but I share your link whenever I get a chance... :) Have a lovely weekend girl

(I will have a new picture up soon with all the weight loss, new hairstyle and new clothes... I am so excited to be almost at my goal...) xox

Judith said...

I have the same problem. I've gotten great comments back on my novellas, but lots of readers say that they want "more," that they'd like the stories to be longer. I usually keep the stories at about 40 pages, but I've gotten so many comments, I made the last one 90 pages. I like it, but it changes the feel and flow of the story. Short has more punch.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...